Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Gearing up for hunting season

Not everyone agrees with hunting, but around here it's a big deal. My husband works in construction so he gets laid off in the winter. We need the deer and elk we harvest to make it through the winter. It's organic meat and we eat it all, nothing goes to waste. We steak out and grind the rest into sausage or burger to give us lots of ways to eat it. Archery starts this weekend and while I have a bow I and I do practice I am nervous to try and pull back with a deer in front of me. Have to try though or I will never know if I can do it. What I am the most looking forward to is rifle. We just ordered a new .50 cal CVA Optima muzzleloader and this year should be interesting. I am learning everything I can about muzzleloaders. There is a lot of info out there. I think I am sold on white hots though. We shot pyrodex this weekend and I couldn't believe how much residue was in the barrel.
This was the first deer I ever shot. He is a respectable 4 point buck. This was last year.

My husband's biggest buck. He shot him in the 2012 season. Nice 6 point though he didn't score to high. 

So like I said in the beginning, not everyone agrees with hunting, to those I hope you can see that it helps people like me get through the months of winter when we don't have much income coming in. The deer above fed our family and my husband even used the hyde to make leather. Out of that leather he makes bags, leggings and various other crafts. This year his plan is to take a deer with a traditional bow he made. He worked very hard on making sure the bow had enough power to not just wound the deer. I am very proud of him. For all of you gearing up for this season may you be accurate and swift. God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment